The first picture shows how the stone arrived at our workshop (in two rubble sacks and a bucket). This was spread out on the bench like an exploded model for us to assess.
After removing the paint, we glued the pieces back together with the help of a photograph showing the stone in its original shape.
The stone then had a kind of ‘fill in the blanks’ moment as we tried to fill in the missing enrichment’s.
Several layers of silicone rubber were then applied. We used a number of pretty colours for the different layers but there is a good reason behind it. Applying a different colour onto each dried layer is a good indication of where you have been and where you are going with the next application.
We managed to persuade the client that, as the stone would not be structural a light weight option would be preferable for ease of fixing, due to its size. An agreement was made and the piece was produced in a beautiful white marble GRC that sparkled in the sunlight.
Sadly, the corbel was always to be decorated, so now sits under a shroud of Magnolia exterior gloss, hiding its finish in the brilliant GRC to the world.